1/21/2012

A Winter Without Snow?

Richmond weather has been a bit unusual this year, with the mildest winter I can remember since moving here 7 years ago. Believe me, I am enjoying the warmer temps and vastly reduced heating oil bills, but it just hasn't felt like winter yet. It's already mid-January and we haven't seen a flake of snow - not even one little puff of cloud-dandruff scratched off from the winter sky's scalp. 

Here's a photo of what our backyard looked like in the snowstorm of March 2009.


A winter without snow is like a birthday party without cake and candles. There is just something about the cake ritual that makes the experience saturate.  I think it's the split-second reflection that occurs as you make a wish and blow out the candles, letting go of the year that's passed (into darkness) and embracing (the light of) the year ahead. 


Speaking of birthdays, I just had another one.  Can you believe we missed the cake and candles this year?  Mom did send me a nice box of cookies, though.  So I guess you could say that I still have a half-sense of unreality regarding my new number.  Had I experienced the ritual of cake and candles this year, however, you would never guess what this cold-fingered, heat-seeker would've wished for. 


Let there be SNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment