7/05/2012

Things Are Heating Up!

So it has been a steamy last couple of weeks with temps in the triple digits here in VA. We've also experienced some major storms at the farmhouse recently that resulted in quarter-sized hail (not good for the veggie garden or pear trees... not to mention my car), 80 mile an hour winds, a few tornado clouds, and power outages across the state. 

The poor pear tree twins take another beating.
 During the first power outage, our little generator caught on fire and almost blew up! The Mister managed to grab a fire extinguisher just in time and thanks to his volunteer firefighter training, he saved the day. Fortunately we keep several fire extinguishers in the house between my jewelry studio and his wood shop.

My favorite spot in the jewelry shop - where I hammer and use my torch!
In honor of the heat, I have been firing up the jewelry torch lately to create new enamel work. Experimenting with different colors and shapes, I fire each copper enamel piece by hand. Traditionally, enamel work is fired in an electric kiln that is set to a specific temperature so that you have control over the results. Preferring a raw aesthetic and an element of surprise, I fire pieces individually with an open flame.

Here are some of my latest colorful creations. Most of these elements will become either earrings or pendants. A select few may be set like gemstones in sterling silver, as I do in my Jetson Collection.

See any you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment